Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Letters X, Y & Z

Our letter X, Y & Z words are Box, Yellow (or Yuck), & Zoo.
(Again, a strange hodge-podge storytime, but what are you gonna do with X, Y & Z??)


 Possible Storytime Books:
Sitting in My Box by Dee Lillegard
Yuck! by Mick Manning
Going to the Zoo by Tom Paxton

Not a Box by Antoinette Portis (this story is so simple, but it makes the kids crack up every time)
In My New Yellow Shirt by Eileen Spinelli
Never Ever Shout in a Zoo by Karma Wilson


Honorable mention:
Always Lots of Heinies at the Zoo by Ayun Halliday
(one of the funniest books I've seen in a while, but I still haven't tried it at storytime yet, because I don't know if the kids & parents will be delighted or horrified :)

 
Craft Links:
Zebra Craft
or
Animal Crackers Zoo
This link is actually for a "safari" scene, but you can just as easily create a zoo scene with the animal crackers. Fun, and yummy!


Songs & Rhymes:
Jack-in-the-Box
If I were a jack-in-the-box
I'd make myself very small
[huddle down on the ground]
I'd be shut tight inside my box
You couldn't see me at all!
[cover your eyes]

Until someone turns the crank,
[turn the crank]
The music will play, then stop
[la-la-la- ]
The top will fly open
[life arms above head]
And out I will pop!
[jump up]

 
Yickity-Yackity Yickity-Yak
Yickity-yackity, yickity-yak,
The yak has a scriffily scruffily back
Some yaks are brown and some yaks are black,
Yickity-yackity, yickity-yak

Sniggildy-snaggildy, sniggildy-snag,
The yak is all covered with shiggildy-shag
He walks with a ziggildy-zaggildy-sag,
Sniggildy-snaggildy, sniggildy-snag!

 
Zoo Chant
Oh I went to the zoo and what did I see?
I saw a great big tiger looking at me!
He went, "Roar, roar, roar!"
He went, "Roar, roar, roar!"
And that's what he said to me

Other verses:
Use any other zoo animals you like, or have the kids name some

No comments: