Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Letters I and J

I combine these two letters because there isn't exactly a broad selection of preschool books to be found for either one (or maybe I just haven't found them yet!). If you have more ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Our letter I and J words are Ice/Ice Cream, Island, Inch/Inchworm, Jungle & Jelly/Jam.
(You can also use Jump, but I usually save that for the Letter U)


Possible Storytime Books:
An Island in the Sun by Stella Blackstone
Jazzy in the Jungle by Lucy Cousins
Jamberry by Bruce Degen
Inch by Inch by Leo Lionni
Five Little Penguins Slipping on the Ice by Steve Metzger
Isaac the Ice Cream Truck by Scott Santoro
An Island Grows by Lola Schaefer


Craft Links:
Ice Cream Craft
or
Jelly(fish) Craft

Songs & Rhymes:

The Ice is on the Trees
Sung to: "The Farmer in the Dell"
The ice is on the trees,
The ice is on the ground,
The ice is on the window
Yes, the ice is all around.

The ice is very cold,
The ice is very bright,
The ice is very slippery,
The ice is very white!

Let's Clap Our Hands for Ice Cream
Sung to: "The More We Get Together"
Let's clap our hands for ice cream,
For ice cream, for ice cream
Let's clap our hands for ice cream,
'Cause we love it so:
It's cold and it's sweet,
And it's our favorite treat,
Let's clap our hands for ice cream
'Cause we love it so!

Inchworm
The inchworm went for a walk one day
Inch by inch by inch
The inchworm moves in a special way
Inch by inch by inch
He goes up and down, up and down
As he moves across the ground,
Up and down, up and down
As he moves across the ground.


I Went to the Jungle One Day
Sung to: "London Bridge"
I went to the jungle one day,
jungle one day, jungle one day,
I saw a parrot on the way,
And this is what he said: "Squawk, squawk!"

Other animals:
Snake..."Hissssss!"
Monkey..."Ooh-ooh, Eee-eee!"
Alligator..."Snap!"
Tiger..."Roar!"
(or any other jungle animals you like)


Jelly Everywhere!
Sung to: "The Farmer in the Dell"
Jelly in the bowl, jelly in the bowl,
Wibble wobble, wibble wobble,
Jelly in the bowl.

Jelly on my hands, jelly on my hands,
Wibble wobble, wibble wobble,
Jelly on my hands!
[continue with other body parts]

No comments: