Friday, July 22, 2011

The Letter E

Our letter E words are Egg, Elephant & Ears (or Eyes).


Possible Storytime Books:
Do Your Ears Hang Low? by Caroline Church
Big Egg by Molly Coxe
The Odd Egg by Emily Gravett
When the Elephant Walks by Keiko Kasza
Elmer by David McKee
The Ear Book by Al Perkins
Daisy and the Egg by Jane Simmons
Just a Little Bit by Ann Tompert  (a storytime fave)


Craft Links:
Elephant Ears Craft
The link to this craft no longer works, but I didn't want to add a different craft because this one is such a crowd pleaser.
Since it is a really simple craft, I will just describe it to you here (and I will try to get a photo added soon):
1. Cut strips of gray construction paper (1.5-2" wide) to make a headband. I usually make the strips 12" long, then give each child two strips to fit around their head.
2. Cut out large gray elephant ears, making sure to include a "tab" where you are going to attach it to the headband. That way, you can glue the tab to the headband, and fold the ears so they stick out to the side.
3. Cut out elephant noses to glue to the front of the headband (make sure they are narrow enough that the kids can still see, since they will be hanging down over their noses :)
4. Let the kids glue them together and decorate how they like, and watch the crazy elephant rumpus begin!
or
Hatching Egg Craft


Songs & Rhymes:

The Elephant's Trunk
The elephant has a great big trunk
That goes swinging, swinging so
He has tiny, tiny eyes
that show him where to go
His huge long ears go flapping,
Flapping up and down
And his great big feet go stomping,
Stomping on the ground.

Two Little Eyes 

(Point to each part)
Two little eyes to look around
Two little ears to hear each sound
One little nose to smell what's sweet
One little mouth that likes to eat
Two little hands to clap and play
My five senses help me out all day!

I'm a Little Chickie
(sung to: "I'm a Little Teapot")
I'm a little chickie,
[crouch down inside your egg]
Ready to hatch,
Pecking at my egg shell,
[pecking motion]
Scratch, scratch, scratch!
[scratching motion]
When I crack it open,
Out I'll leap
[jump out of shell]
Fluff my feathers,
Cheep! Cheep! Cheep!

No comments: